About Hardwig

I am Hardwig, a male in my thirties from Belgium, and trying to find my way in life. I've known some pretty sweet ups and rough downs, just like anyone else. Nothing special. Since childhood, I was fascinated by the bedtime stories my dad told me about the Spartans and ancient greek mythology. 

Later, I studied all the Greek philosophers and literature. I tried to learn every course available about ancient Sparta and Ancient Greece and learned how to weed out the nonsense amongst all this information. 

Spartan historical outfit
Me in a typical historical Spartan outfit, no 300 abs here but getting there by forging a body of steel.


I've been practising martial arts since I was 5 years old, while football was a way easier option with my father playing football at a high level.  I studied: Karate, Wing-Chun, Hapkido, Kickboxing, Muay Tae, Wrestling and since a few years I work with international groups to recreate the ancient martial art of the Spartans: Pankration and Pammachion. I've been a coach now for over 15 years in Martial arts and have spent countless hours in the gym. I tried every single workout there is I guess, from the famous 300, Spartacus workouts to become Kratos or Duke Nukem, 5 x 5, Splitt schedules, bodybuilding, powerlifting,...  and studied at famous coaches as Greg Plitt, Mark Divine from Sealfit and celebrity coach Tyrone Bell.

For the last 2 years in my life, I've started implementing Spartan principles into my own life after an injury prevented me from working out. I had gained a lot of fat and was tired constantly and generally felt miserable and unhappy. I noticed how my life changed, not fast but slowly. After a while, I felt like a different person. My ex-girlfriend also noticed. She left me... I had become to her, a stranger. And in a certain way I was. She had known me as this always laughing overweight guy who didn't take life to serious. And now I was stronger than I had ever been, I could run longer than I ever could. I felt vigorous and unconquerable on some days. On other days life still sucked pretty hard  but I was armed with knowledge from the hardest people ever... And I took beating stoically. I organised my own Agoge, with some pretty tough challenges to mark my passings. And even as I'm write this I'm still learning and improving. 

At times I can be pretty unconventional, straight forward or no-nonsense. If you don't like this or you are easily offended then this site might not be your thing. For anyone else, enjoy, feel free to ask questions if you have any and have a great time. Khaire!




Post a Comment

Copyright © Becoming a modern spartan.